What's up with the windows headers?

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 30 10:33:01 PST 2012

On 30/12/2012 00:49, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
<snip>
> Third parties would typically take druntime and make whatever
> minimal tweaks they need to make it work with their stuff. That's
> what gdc and ldc do.

All the more reason to keep the Win2000 support in, in case one of these
third parties wants it.

<snip>
> We specifically decided not to support Win2K. It requires extra
> effort that we don't want to go to, and almost no one uses it
> anymore.

What extra effort is that?  The versioning to support Win2000 (and even
NT4) is already in both the C headers and the D modules that have so far
been done.  It's just another value of the constant _WIN32_WINNT.  My
common sense tells me that it is _removing_ it that requires extra effort.

<snip>
> I would expect any bindings added to druntime to be done with the
> idea that they're for XP or newer rather than trying to support
> pre-XP at all.

Once each file has been translated, why would any further bindings for
WinXP, let alone any older version, be later added?

Stewart.