Ranges longer than size_t.max

Era Scarecrow rtcvb32 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 31 09:50:40 PST 2012

On Sunday, 30 December 2012 at 19:11:51 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky
wrote:
> False. It's solely a question of FS used.
> NTFS supports files larger then 4 Gb regardless of version
> Windows (Win2K+ or even earlier). It doesn't matter what the
> bitness of OS in question is. I suspect 32bit linux also has >
> 4Gb files even with ext2 no problem.
>
> And e.g. FAT32 remarkably can't handle 4 Gb+ files with any OS.

  I was writing some code to go through the FAT12/16/32, and some
interesting information was found (Although there was so much
overhead I kinda stopped in the middle of it). FAT32 actually
uses something like 28/29 bits for the sector id, the other 3-4
bits were flags like bad sectors, last sector and other minor
data. At least that's what I remember off hand.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat32