[xmlp] the recent garbage collector performance improvements

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Wed Feb 1 17:25:27 PST 2012

Am 02.02.2012, 01:41 Uhr, schrieb Richard Webb <webby at beardmouse.org.uk>:

> Parsing the file with DMD 2.057 takes ~25 seconds
>
> Parsing the file with DMD 2.058(Git) takes ~6.1 seconds
>
> Parsing the file with DMD 2.058, with the GC disabled during the
> LoadFile call, takes ~2.2 seconds.
>

> For comparison, MSXML6 takes 1.6 seconds to load the same file.

Speaking of which, why not also compare the memory consumption (peak
working set size)? Memory vs. CPU is the typical trade-off, so it might be
interesting from that point, but I also wonder what the overhead for GC
managed memory is - assuming that MSXML6 uses only ref counting. And if it
is a whole lot more (like >+50%), what methods could apply, that 'waste'
less space.

This API function should get the job done: GetProcessMemoryInfo
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms683219(v=vs.85).aspx