[xmlp] the recent garbage collector performance improvements

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 2 07:40:25 PST 2012

On Thursday, 2 February 2012 at 04:38:49 UTC, Robert Jacques
wrote:
> An XML parser would probably want some kind of stack segment
> growth schedule, which, IIRC isn't supported by RegionAllocator.

I had considered putting that in RegionAllocator but I was
skeptical of the benefit, at least assuming we're targeting PCs
and not embedded devices.   The default segment size is 4MB.
Trying to make the initial size any smaller won't save much
memory.  Four megabytes is also big enough that new segments
would be allocated so infrequently that the cost would be
negligible.  I concluded that the added complexity wasn't
justified.