[xmlp] the recent garbage collector performance improvements

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 2 11:15:31 PST 2012

On Thursday, 2 February 2012 at 18:06:24 UTC, Manu wrote:
> On 2 February 2012 17:40, dsimcha <dsimcha at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, 2 February 2012 at 04:38:49 UTC, Robert Jacques
>> wrote:
>>
>>> An XML parser would probably want some kind of stack segment
>>> growth
>>> schedule, which, IIRC isn't supported by RegionAllocator.
>>>

>> at least assuming we're targeting PCs and not embedded devices.
>>

> I don't know about the implications of your decision, but
> comment makes me
> feel uneasy.
>
> I don't know how you can possibly make that assumption? Have
> you looked
> around at the devices people actually use these days?
> PC's are an endangered and dying species... I couldn't imagine
> a worse
> assumption if it influences the application of D on different
> systems.

I'm not saying that embedded isn't important.  It's just that for
low level stuff like memory management it requires a completely
different mindset.  RegionAllocator is meant to be fast and
simple at the expense of space efficiency.  In embedded you'd
probably want completely different tradeoffs.  Depending on how
deeply embedded, space efficiency might be the most important
thing.  I don't know exactly what tradeoffs you'd want, though,
since I don't do embedded development.  My guess is that you'd
want something completely different, not RegionAllocator plus a
few tweaks that would complicate it for PC use.  Therefore, I
designed RegionAllocator for PCs with no consideration for
embedded environments.