[xmlp] the recent garbage collector performance improvements

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Feb 2 11:32:51 PST 2012

On Thu, Feb 02, 2012 at 08:20:55PM +0100, dsimcha wrote:
> On Thursday, 2 February 2012 at 18:55:02 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> >On 2/2/12, Manu <turkeyman at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>PC's are an endangered and dying species...
> >
> >Kind of like when we got rid of cars and trains and ships once we
> >started making jumbo jets.
> >
> >Oh wait, that didn't happen.
>
> Agreed.  I just recently got my first smartphone and I love it.  I see
> it as a complement to a PC, though, not as a substitute.  It's great
> for when I'm on the go, but when I'm at home or at work I like a
> bigger screen, a full keyboard, a faster processor, more memory, etc.
> Of course smartphones will get more powerful but I doubt any will ever
> have dual 22 inch monitors.
[...]

Funny you should mention that, a number of years ago I got to know a guy
who worked in a lab that was researching organic polymer-based
electronics, which lets you build things like screens and keyboards that
can be rolled up or folded and put into your pocket. It was still
experimental technology at the time, though, and I'm not expecting it to
be publicly available anytime soon. But the day may come when your
smartphone *can* literally have a 22" monitor (that folds into a pocket
sized card).

Famous last words: I wonder what will happen if I do *this*...