[xmlp] the recent garbage collector performance improvements

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Feb 2 14:52:38 PST 2012

On Thu, Feb 02, 2012 at 01:22:54PM -0800, Sean Kelly wrote:
> Long term I suspect the typical desktop experience will just be a
> phone or other mobile device talking wirelessly to input and display
> peripherals.
[...]

Funny, it comes full-circle to the good ole days of dumb X terminals
that only handle input/display, and leave the actual computing to the
server. Except now the server is no longer an oversized ceiling-high
machine in the server room, but a tablet you can fit into your pocket.
:)

However, due to the inconvenience of needing to be near a bulky monitor
and keyboard, I suspect rather that the mobile device will come with a
built-in projector and foldable keyboard. The latter already exists; the
former allows the convenience of usability anywhere there's a large flat
surface.

Heuristics are bug-ridden by definition. If they didn't have bugs, they'd be algorithms.