Gdc & avr

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 03:43:26 PST 2012

On 3 February 2012 13:34, Alex_Dovhal <alex_dovhal at yahoo.com> wrote:

> **
> "Andrea Fontana" <advmail at katamail.com> wrote:
> >Is it possible to compile for avr (atmel) platform using gdc? It would be
> interesting for arduino development...
>
> AVR is 8-bit harward architecture while D is designed for at least 32
> bits. Besides that AVR's have from (less then 1) to (a few) kB of RAM so it
> needs another standard library with no GC. Guess that's a lot of work, so
> don't expect it any time soon even if someone will try to implement it.

I think you'll find that most arduino projects are using a much more
capable avr chip, probably avr32 chips.
I wouldn't expect D will ever work well on 16bit microcontrollers, but on
32bit avr's I can't see any reason from my (limited) experience why the
toolchain wouldn't just build and work out of the box (at least under
linux).
You'll basically need to write the runtime yourself. If you avoid the GC
and OS stuff, you can basically stub out phobos, and you might be able to
run raw code quite easily...