Gdc & avr

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 11:32:21 PST 2012

On 3 February 2012 16:45, Paulo Pinto <pjmlp at progtools.org> wrote:

>   The only language without runtime is pure assembly.

And C.. there's no requirement to link the CRT in a C app. In fact, in many
of my projects, I don't.
I frequently find that the ONLY function I use from the CRT is sprintf...
which I really should write(/copy) my own version of, so I can never link a
CRT again :P

All high level languages require a runtime library, even C, despite what
> many people think.

Wrong, the C *language* depends on NOTHING in the CRT. I prefer to avoid
linking it wherever possible. Strangely enough, I find the 'standard' C
library to be one of the least standard libraries out there, and avoid it
for that reason.

Now in this case what would be nice would be the possibility to generate
> code that runs on top of the arduino without any
> real OS. This is a common use case in embedded systems and here the
> runtime has even an higher value as it takes the
> role of an OS.

All that's required is a toolchain that's capable of producing an exe
without the requirement to link any compulsory library.