Opinion of February 2012

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Feb 3 23:02:22 PST 2012

"Nick Sabalausky" <a at a.a> wrote in message
news:jgij59$hc2$1 at digitalmars.com...
> "Zachary Lund" <admin at computerquip.com> wrote in message
> news:jghpk4$26uk$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>
>> 2. Milestones and Organization
>
> This is non-corporate-backed OSS. People are free to work on what they
> choose. We're not Bill Lumberg Waterfall Nazis here.
>
>> I cannot stand Windows. If Microsoft suddenly went bankrupt, Windows was
>> never updated, and people had to move to MacOS or Linux, I would be the
>> happiest man alive.
>
> Bleh. Apple makes MS look like the EFF. (And I'd sooner switch to a
> graphing calculator as my primary PC than go back to OSX.) MS may be no
> better than any other corporation, but Jobs's demise was the #1 best thing
> to happen to technology since Win2K/XP. ('Course they couldn't get me to
> use that Vista/Win7 trash if they paid me.)
>

>> It also drives me insane that dmd for D2 is not named dmd2. There's no
>> reason to not have it be dmd2 and you just stupidly caused
>> incompatibility with the D1 executable.
>
> https://bitbucket.org/doob/dvm
>
> $dvm use 1.069
> $dvm use 2.057
> etc...
>
> Trivial problem trivially solved.
>
>> The .c extensions on C++ files... need I say more? That itself is a joke
>> and seems to have been ignored when complaints about it came up.
>
> Everyone already knows and agrees.

I don't mean to be an ass about it, I know how infuriating it is to come
into a group and get immediately lynched. It's just that every couple months
we inevitably get yet another first-time (or nearly-first-time) poster who
gives us a big essay on everything we're doing wrong and how they're going
to swoop in and save us from ourselves with their basic observations, all of
which inevitably fall into:

A. Things everyone already knows, agrees on, and is being worked on.

B. Things they can easily contribute to themselves.

C. Things that are already taken care of.

D. Things that have already been brought up, discussed, and are never going
to happen (and have *then* been discussed a couple more times).

E. Things that are just plain false.

It's a pattern that just gets very old very quickly.