dmd Lexer and Parser in D

Daniel Murphy yebblies at nospamgmail.com
Sat Feb 4 09:57:18 PST 2012

"Nick Sabalausky" <a at a.a> wrote in message
news:jgjngv$2je9$1 at digitalmars.com...
> I'm interested in a D *API* for taking in D sources and spitting out the
> user's choice of either the parser results, or an AST with all the
> semantics/CTFE/etc already run. I get the impressiona lot of people are
> intrested in this.

This is not that far off.  I've got a branch of dmd, with a di file for
every h file, that is able to link to itself.  There are still some issues
with vtables and static variables but hopefully I will sort them out in the
near future.

What would the D api look like?  If D can link to c++ well enough to call
into the dmd source, building an api on top of that wouldn't be that bad.

> I suspect having it D might be a pain until a lot more issues get
> resolved. A bootstrapping compiler, I would imagine, would need a much
> more stable base than other types of software would need (though I don't
> have any experience with bootstrapping compilers, so I could be wrong).

Yeah.