The Win32 HANDLE type under D2

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 4 11:32:18 PST 2012

Under D1, std.c.windows.windows has HANDLE it as a typedef of void*.  While I forget
whether they're actually pointers.  I guess it fits given that the C headers define it as
void* and that handles are fundamentally different from pointers from an app's point of view.

Under D2, core.sys.windows.windows has it as an alias of void*.

In the WindowsAPI bindings, the definition of HANDLE is versioned to this effect.

But there ought to be a better way of dealing with it.  Anyone got any thoughts?  Are
there any plans at the moment for the future of the HANDLE type?

Stewart.