Opinion of February 2012

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat Feb 4 13:11:28 PST 2012

On 2/4/2012 8:52 AM, Zachary Lund wrote:
> 1. I don't care about such trivial things since it doesn't make sense to change
> them currently. However, it was an obvious problem when the name was first set
> and other than D1 being deprecated, it's still a problem now (sort of). Arch
> Linux chose to remove the D1 package and add the D2 package and not keep both
> simply because of the retarded name incompatibilities.

The problem is more global than that. Many people have multiple versions of dmd
on their system - from one release to the next. It's not going to work to keep
renaming dmd for every release.

dmd keeps a dmd.conf in the directory where it resides, which tells it where to
find the right version of the library, etc. That means that all your makefile
needs to do is pick the right dmd, either by setting the path, an environment
variable, or hardcoding it in the makefile.