Opinion of February 2012

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Feb 5 00:10:33 PST 2012

On 2/3/2012 4:28 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> I agree with this. Based on current documentation, I didn't even know
> the GC can be replaced at compile-time until someone mentioned it. And
> up to now I still don't know how exactly to do this, since I couldn't
> find any docs for it.

The documentation for that is in the source files for the GC, the GC is even in
its own subdirectory, src/gc. It stands to reason that to replace the GC, that's
where to look.

Doing a replacement GC is pretty advanced work. If one is ready for that, it
isn't unreasonable to expect one to peruse those files. It's a bit beyond the
scope of D to provide a tutorial on how to write a replacement GC, though you're
welcome to do it and contribute it.