Damn C++ and damn D!

Jose Armando Garcia jsancio at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 08:25:33 PST 2012

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 2:13 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu
> On 2/5/12 9:57 AM, Jose Armando Garcia wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Timon Gehr<timon.gehr at gmx.ch>  wrote:
>>>
>>> immutable variable = (boolean_condition) ? {
>>>    // initialize based on boolean_condition being true
>>> }():{
>>>    // initialize based on boolean_condition being false
>>> }();
>>>

>> Cool, now I want some syntactic sugar ;). I write this all the time!
>

> Make it a function.

I agree that in theory that you can do all this stuff in D but the
reality is that developers are lazy and end up fighting the language.
It is probably true that in a well structure/abstracted program this
is not a problem but the reality is that a lot programs don't start
this way. I listen a very enlightening talk by Gilad Bracha the other
day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IavVtOE_Fg. I still not ready to
completely agree with him but I do see his point about a language
getting out a programers way...

-Jose