[OT] I ported Empire to D2 and made it cross platform.

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 6 04:42:24 PST 2012

On 06/02/2012 02:44, Bernard Helyer wrote:
> I've tried multiple times to contact Walter through his websites, but apparently _that's_
> a dead end so...
>
> http://i.imgur.com/DzrN6.png
>
> Look at it! The selection pulses! Empire's never looked so good!

And it has a retro look to it.

But why is the first option just an "A" by itself?

> There are some rough edges; the save games fail to load, demo isn't working, the text log
> isn't cleared correctly.

BTW which version did you start from?  In my version I completely rewrote the text display
as what we had was geared towards a character-cell display, which was no good with it
using a proportional font.  I think I found that some existing saved games wouldn't load,
but there's no problem loading games that were saved with that same version.

> But other than that you can happily play a game right through. I
> can't put the code anywhere because distribution is prohibited, so this is my last ditch
> effort to contact Walter.

The version I've contributed I emailed to Walter and he eventually put it up on the
website.  Is there any reason the same can't be done in this instance?

Stewart.