std.xml and Adam D Ruppe's dom module

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 15:56:40 PST 2012

On Monday, 6 February 2012 at 23:47:08 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> Also, two of the major requirements for an improved std.xml are
> that it needs to have a range-based API, and it needs to be
> fast.

What does range based API mean in this context? I do offer
a couple ranges over the tree, but it really isn't the main
thing there.

Check out Element.tree() for the main one.

But, if you mean taking a range for input, no, doesn't
do that. I've been thinking about rewriting the parse
function (if you look at it, you'll probably hate it
too!). But, what I have works and is tested on a variety
of input, including garbage that was a pain to get working
right, so I'm in no rush to change it.

> Tango's XML parser has pretty much set the bar on speed

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Tango whips me hard on speed. I spent
some time in the profiler a month or two ago and got a
significant speedup over the datasets I use (html files),
but I'm sure there's a whole lot more that could be done.

The biggest thing is I don't think you could use my parse
function as a stream.