[OT] Programming language WATs

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Feb 6 17:13:28 PST 2012

OK, so this thread was supposed to be about WATs in D. Today I found

	std.stdio.File != std.stream.File

which means you can't assign stdin to InputStream.

Yes I know, you need to import cstream and use cstream.din instead, but
this is very counterintuitive to a newcomer. It certainly elicited a WAT
from me today when I first ran into this schizophrenic split between
std.stdio (which is pretty much used in every D code example I've seen,
which gives the impression that it's the "native" and "default" thing to
use) and std.stream (which one would expect should naturally extend the
functionality of std.stdio, but it doesn't).

The best compiler is between your ears. -- Michael Abrash