[OT] Programming language WATs

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 7 05:38:19 PST 2012

On 07/02/2012 01:18, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
<snip>
> I guess that it depends on how you think or what you're used to. I wouldn't
> necessarily expect std.stream to be related to std.stdio at all. Certainly. in
> C++, stream-based and non-stream-based I/O isn't related at all
<snip>

std.stream and std.stdio are both stream based - they just use different stream APIs.  But
I am made to wonder why the wrapper for C FILE structures isn't implemented in terms of
the std.stream API.

I suppose if there's any such thing as non-stream-based I/O, it would be something like
std.file.read/write or memory-mapped files.  Though even these might be internally
implemented in a stream-based way.

Stewart.