Mac OS X 10.5 support

Don Clugston dac at nospam.com
Thu Feb 9 02:04:02 PST 2012

On 09/02/12 05:46, Brad Anderson wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 8:52 PM, Walter Bright
> <newshound2 at digitalmars.com <mailto:newshound2 at digitalmars.com>> wrote:
>
>     Lately, dmd seems to have broken support for OS X 10.5. Supporting
>     that system is problematic for us, since we don't have 10.5 systems
>     available for dev/test.
>
>     Currently, the build/test farm is OS X 10.7.
>
>     I don't think this is like the Windows issue. Upgrading Windows is
>     (for me, anyway) a full day job. Upgrading OS X is inexpensive and
>     relatively painless, the least painless of any system newer than DOS
>     that I've experienced.
>
>     Hence, is it worthwhile to continue support for 10.5? Can we
>     officially say that only 10.6+ is supported? Is there a significant
>     10.5 community that eschews OS upgrades but still expects new apps?
>

> There appears to be fewer 10.5 users than 10.4, oddly:
> http://update.omnigroup.com/

Note that 10.5 and 10.4 support PowerPC as well as x86. They have 4%
PowerPC, down from about 7% at the start of 2011.
That accounts for about 25% of the combined decline of 10.4 and 10.5,
and it's clearly caused by old machines being replaced.
They must date from 2006 or earlier. Surely a large fraction of the
remaining 10.4 & 10.5 systems are likewise near end of life.

So it looks like:
48% 10.7
34% 10.6
15% 10.5 + 10.4