Message passing between threads: Java 4 times faster than D

Andrew Wiley wiley.andrew.j at
Thu Feb 9 16:44:35 PST 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 3:06 AM, Nicolae Mihalache <xpromache at> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm a complete newbie in D and trying to compare with Java. I
> implemented  a simple test for measuring the throughput in message
> passing between threads. I see that Java can pass about 4mil
> messages/sec while D only achieves 1mil/sec. I thought that D should
> be faster.
> The messages are simply integers (which are converted to Integer in Java).
> The two programs are attached. I tried compiling the D version with
> both dmd and gdc and various optimization flags.
> mache

I recently completed a message passing library in D that lets the
messages be passed between actors that don't necessarily correspond to
threads (as std.concurrency requires). I'll see how it does on your