Carmack about static analysis

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Feb 10 13:52:43 PST 2012

On Friday, February 10, 2012 12:08:19 Brad Anderson wrote:
> I actually read an article recently from someone who had written large
> applications in dynamic languages and had come to the conclusion that the
> productivity gains you have with the dynamic typing are pretty much lost to
> the additional unit testing you must do to ensure everything works. I've
> always had an uneasy feeling when working in dynamic languages but chalked
> it up to my own inexperience.

I just can't stand the idea that whether an if statement is true or not could
change the type of a variable (e.g. it's set to a string in one branch and an
int in the other). I consider dynamic typing to be a _huge_ negative. It may
be fine for short scripts and the like, but I'll never write anything serious
using a dynamically typed language if I can avoid it.

- Jonathan M Davis