D-

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Feb 10 13:54:49 PST 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 01:04:26PM -0800, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 2/10/12 12:54 PM, Tim Krimm wrote:

> >>No please.
> >>
> >>Andrei
> >
> >Please elaborate.
>
> The last thing we need is balkanization of the community. You are of
> course free to initiate such a project but if you care about D it
> would be great to apply your talent in a different direction.
[...]

Perhaps one solution is to simply have the compiler recognize all valid
D constructs, but to give an error when it sees a construct not
supported by the target platform. For example:

	input.d(123): Error: dynamic arrays not supported by target
	platform.

This way, we don't cause fragmentation of D, and at the same time users
will know which constructs should be avoided due to target platform
limitations.

Never trust an operating system you don't have source for! -- Martin Schulze