Bug? taskPool.map() with bufSize and writeln() gets stuck

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 10 17:31:29 PST 2012

Sorry for the double-post; I have asked the same question on D.learn
earlier but I think this is more of a question to this forum.

Tested on Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit dmd.

The following program gets stuck during the writeln() call.

- Note that the foo() call alone works fine.

- Also note that the program works fine when there is no writeln() call
nor foo() call. All elements get processed in that case and the results
are ignored.

Am I using taskPool.map incorrectly or is this a bug? Can you help
identify where the problem may be? How is writeln() using the range
differently than foo() to cause this behavior?

import std.stdio;
import std.parallelism;
import core.thread;

int func(int i)
{
     writeln("processing ", i);
     return i;
}

void main()
{
     auto results = taskPool.map!func([1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8], 2);

     writeln(results);  // <-- Gets stuck HERE

     foo(results); // this works fine
}

void foo(R)(R range)
{
     for ( ; !range.empty; range.popFront()) {
         writeln(range.front);

Thank you,
Ali