D-

Era Scarecrow rtcvb32 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 10 17:46:25 PST 2012

>> What are your thoughts?
>
> There is no way you get a D application into 64K. The language
> is not powerful enough. Only C can achieve that.

I'll need to agree. Porting D to a smaller memory space and with
cramped features in all of this is not going to be good no matter
how you look at it. I'm sure it's similar to comparing using perl
in something with only 64k of memory, one must ask where you can
put the interpreter, decoding and working with the source text,
and many other things, not to mention even if you pulled it off,
the speed penalty.

With only 64k, you aren't going to need anything extremely
complex or elaborate.
You MIGHT get away with exporting D code to using C symbols, but
you'll likely be stuck working with structs, no library support,
no heap, no memory management, and fixed-sized arrays. I doubt
you'd need templates, or any of the higher functions. All
structures and types must be basic or known statically at compile
time. Unlikely for lambdas to be used, and a score of other
features.

This is all just speculation, but I think you get the picture. If
you make a subset of D, it would most likely be named Mini-D. But
at that point you've got an enhanced C without going C++.