D-

Norbert Nemec Norbert at Nemec-online.de
Sun Feb 12 03:23:58 PST 2012

On 10.02.2012 22:04, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 2/10/12 12:54 PM, Tim Krimm wrote:

>>> No please.
>>>
>>> Andrei
>>
>> Please elaborate.
>
> The last thing we need is balkanization of the community. You are of
> course free to initiate such a project but if you care about D it would
> be great to apply your talent in a different direction.

In my understanding, balkanization would begin only if D- would stop
being a pure subset of D

"Safe D" is already one kind of subset that you can use for a large
class of real-world problems. Maybe, the new concept could be
communicated as "Embedded D" in a very similar way, prohibiting certain
language features by a compiler switch and making sure that a meaningful
subset of the runtime library can still be used.

In fact, the concept of such a restricted subset of D could be quite
useful for hard real-time code that has been discussed on this list
recently. Perhaps the requirements are slightly different, but why not
expand the concept of restricting D for various purposes? (real-time,
embedded systems, memory-safe programming, maybe others will come up too?)