visibility vs. accessibility of protected symbols

Martin Nowak dawg at dawgfoto.de
Sun Feb 12 10:28:39 PST 2012

I made a pull request to fix private/package access checks.
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/669

Now I'm wondering if that goes into the right direction.

The shallow distinction of visibility vs. accessibility breaks the module
system because
one can't safely add a private symbol without possibly affecting every
dependent module.
Thus we're back at using underscore names to protect from that.

 From implementing access checks I found the right amount of checking is to
do them
when resolving identifiers. Thus it's almost equal to visibility based
protection.

We already hide symbols that are privately imported by an imported module.

martin