Review of Jose Armando Garcia Sancio's std.log

so so at
Mon Feb 13 15:37:53 PST 2012

On Monday, 13 February 2012 at 15:50:05 UTC, David Nadlinger
> There are several modules in the review queue right now, and to
> get things going, I have volunteered to manage the review of
> Jose's std.log proposal. Barring any objections, the review
> period starts now and ends in three weeks, on March 6th,
> followed by a week of voting.
> ---
> Code:
> Docs:
> Known remaining issues:
> - Proof-reading of the docs is required.
> - Not yet fully tested on Windows.
> Depends on:
> (will be part of 2.058)
> ---
> Earlier drafts of this library were discussed last year, just
> search the NG and ML archives for "std.log".
> I think getting this right is vitally important so that we can
> avoid an abundance of partly incompatible logging libraries
> like in Java. Thus, I'd warmly encourage everyone to actively
> try out the module or compare it with any logging solution you
> might already be using in your project.
> Please post all feedback in this thread, and remember: Although
> comprehensive reviews are obviously appreciated, short comments
> are very welcome as well!
> David

Good work.

One suggestion. Instantiating a template for each log rather
verbose for such common thing. I suggest:

(Just to demonstrate)
alias global_logger!sev_info info;
alias global_logger!sev_warning warning;
alias global_logger!sev_error error;
alias global_logger!sev_critical critical;
alias global_logger!sev_dfatal dfatal;
alias global_logger!sev_fatal fatal;

As we are pulling severity levels to global namespace anyway,
this will save us some verbosity and the keyword "log".