newbie - hey walter, improvement potentials for installer

Vincent thornik at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 00:50:10 PST 2012

>> * Improvement potential #3 -- Linker executable name.
>>
>> The name [link.exe] conflicts with Microsoft's linker. Please name it [optlink.exe].

> This is why we switched away from relying solely on environment variables, such
> as PATH, to find the programs and set options. Instead, sc.ini is used:

Hi, Walter!
I support Alf in renaming initiative. Even if you were so smart to use sc.ini, other vedors are not!
I put dmd/bin in PATH where dmd.exe can be found (obvious solution), BUT link.exe sit at the same place!
Despite what dmd.exe uses, MS tools will catch wrong link.exe or dmd will catch MS' link.exe (if you put MS tools first in PATH).
So it's MUCH easier to rename link.exe (it's not a trademark, what a problem!), than spreading curses every time you get strange error from compiler.
Situation is that MS is dominating on the market, so DM should adapt its tools to be most painless after you add 'em on computer.

Good luck!