Review of Jose Armando Garcia Sancio's std.log

so so at so.so
Tue Feb 14 09:48:05 PST 2012

On Tuesday, 14 February 2012 at 16:21:42 UTC, Jose Armando Garcia
wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 8:42 AM, jdrewsen <jdrewsen at nospam.com>
> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 14 February 2012 at 02:28:11 UTC, Jose Armando
>> Garcia wrote:

>>> I like the idea of having a default. Not sure about adding
>>> debug. What
>>> are you trying to do with default that log!info and vlog(#)
>>> doesn't
>>> let you do?
>>

>> As Sean mentioned the vlog function may be the one I want.
>> Maybe it is okey
>> not to have a debug severity but then a default on the vlog
>> level parameter
>> would be nice. That would make quick debug prints a tad simpler
>>
> If we do set a default what should it be? It is not clear to me
> what
> value we should pick so if you have any suggestions let me know.

IMO a default severity level is not a good idea, not explicit to
begin with.
As i suggested on another reply, getting rid of the
instantiations solve it.

We lose nothing and gain a common keyword. I used to have
severity levels for my logging library in c++. As soon as i got
the C++0x options i thrashed them all.

Now instead of:

txt(error) << "this is: " << it;

i just got:

error("this is: ", it);

Win win for every aspect of it. And got rid of the keyword "txt".