newbie - hey walter, improvement potentials for installer

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Feb 14 14:23:12 PST 2012

On 2/14/2012 2:02 PM, Sean Kelly wrote:
> D should pass the command-line args as properly translated UTF-8.  If this
> doesn't happen, consider it a bug.  Regarding Windows specifically, D
> currently gets the args via GetCommandLineW(), so if that doesn't muck things
> up then all should be well.

Just to add to that, D is designed to be a Unicode language from front-to-back.
The runtime library (and that would include the code that calls main()) is
supposed to do any translations necessary to make that happen when dealing with
operating systems APIs.

For user level programming, it is considered good style to adhere to this
practice. I.e. all data imported into the program should be converted on input
to Unicode, processed, and converted to the output representation upon output.
All runtime library interfaces expect text strings to be in Unicode.