D-

bcs bcs at example.com
Tue Feb 14 20:03:22 PST 2012

On 02/12/2012 12:32 AM, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> Am 12.02.2012 03:03, schrieb bcs:

>>> Systems programming is everything you need to get an OS up and running.
>>> At least it was so a few decades back when I attended computer science
>>> and informatics engineering course.
>>>

>> OK then there may be some people doing systems programming for MacOS X
>> and Windows, but they all work for Apple and MS.
>
> So do you mean everyone doing device driver development are also working
> for them?

I've never worked on them but I seem to recall from somewhere that
Windows drivers operate in an environment that has a lot of "supporting
infrastructure".  Assuming that's not off in the weeds, I suspect the
cases is not to different for OS-x.

> As well as all the companies writing services/daemons with low level
> protocols for optimal perfomance?

If you are working in user mode your claim to doing systems programming
is weakened. The same goes if any part of your program can afford to use
a GC.

I will grant that there is a lot of ground between that and the "very
much not systems programming" type of work that goes into a things like
web apps. However, I would assert that a formal D- sub-set/dialect would
mostly be of use on the core kernel development and
embedded-systems/micro-controllers end of things. Outside that, I
suspect that >90% of the advantage can be had via a well selected style
guide.