Why is there no or or and ?

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 05:47:26 PST 2012

Le 17/02/2012 05:35, Jonathan M Davis a écrit :
> On Thursday, February 16, 2012 22:31:18 Caligo wrote:
>> C++ has this and it makes code little more readable in certain cases:
>>
>> if(something() or foo() and bar()){  ... }
>>
>> instead of this in D:
>>
>> if(something() || foo()&&  bar()){ ... }
>>

>> possible enhancement request?  or is there a good reason it is not in
>> the language?
>
> Since when does C++ have "or" and "and"? C++ uses || and&&, just like C and
> Java and C# and... I'm sure that there's a language somewhere whch uses "or"
> and "and," but I've never used one that did.
>
> And I'm actually mildly shocked that anyone (at least any programmer) would
> think that "or" and "and" were more readable. The fact that operators aren't
> words is a _major_ boon to code readibility.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Mayny languages have both. Usually, people ends up using only one of
them (&& or ||) and reserve the other one for dirty tricks (connect() or
die()) abusing lazy evaluation.

I'm not aware of idoms in all langauges, for all languages I know about,
fact showed us that && and || is a better alternative.