Two cases showing imperfection of the const system

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 17 09:27:52 PST 2012

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 16:48:27 -0500, SiegeLord <none at none.com> wrote:

> Firstly, let me preface this... if you use templates to get around the
> const system's imperfections, you are admitting that the const system is
> broken. Now, on with the program.
>
> My unique experience in using D2 without Phobos lead me to encounter two
> cases that show how the D2 const system is just a pain in the behind for
> some really reasonable tasks.

inout should solve all these problems.  As Timon says, there are bugs with
it.  Bugs do not mean the design is not sound.

Also note that you are not unique in that experience, I tried to port
Tango to D2 a long time ago, and the bug report 1961 was a direct result
of trying that porting.  In other words, inout was *designed* to allow
Tango to be ported to D2.

-Steve