structs, ~this(), this(this) and reference counting

Sönke Ludwig ludwig at informatik.uni-luebeck.de
Sat Feb 18 02:32:07 PST 2012

After implementing automatic reference counting for resource management
and spending the last two days with trying to figure out where the
crashes and leaks come from and write workarounds for the corresponding
compiler bugs, I came to the conclusion that this approach is futile.
The code base is too large, as is the number of patterns that lead to
compiler bugs.

Since the number of issues unusually high, instead of posting one bug
report for each (posted two), I compiled a small test suite with a
number of bug patterns that I discovered (and some working patterns).
The list is probably not complete and I know that some cases that are OK
in the test suite now failed for me in real code.

Anyway, do you think it makes sense to post this test suite as a meta
bug for reference counting (excluding phobos RefCounted), so that
somebody can look into it as a whole?

I get the feeling that otherwise it might take a very long time until
everything is stable in this area - and IMO this is an extremely
important area for anyone who needs to (partially or fully) avoid the
GC. And, last but not least, just like linker crashes and ICEs, it may
cause a very fragile impression for anyone who encounters this.

Test suite: http://pastebin.com/niZwRKpc
(Run with "dmd -g -run" or "dmd -g -version=BAILOUT -run")