Remote unix text editing (Was: Why is there no or or and ?)

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sat Feb 18 09:10:48 PST 2012

"James Miller" <james at aatch.net> wrote in message
news:mailman.523.1329551034.20196.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
>I would like to add a few more points.
> I exclusively use (g)vim text editing, why? Because it means I can jump on
> a console, SSH into a server, and it will probably have vim, or atleast
> vi.

I've heard a lot of people say that about vi(m), but in my (admittedly
somewhat limited) experience, I've never come across a (Li|U)n[ui]x system
that didn't have nano or pico (neither of which are great, but they're good
enough for editing Unix configuration files, and I'm actually capable of
using them, unlike emacs or vim).

But I prefer to do it like this: SSH into a server, but then also connect
via SSHFS (SSHFS is fucking *awesome*!). That way, no matter the server, I
can use *any* editor I want: kate, gedit, whatever.

If I'm using a server that doesn't already have ssh set up (for instance, if
I'm actually setting up ssh) *then* I'll either use nano/pico or, if I can,
I'll install mcedit which is the closest I've seen to what I would consider
a nice text-mode editor.