The Right Approach to Exceptions

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at
Sat Feb 18 14:08:37 PST 2012

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 03:36:40PM -0600, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 2/18/12 3:25 PM, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
> >I'd just like to add to this that we don't lose anything per se by
> >introducing specific exception types.
> 1. Technical debt

I don't understand. Could you elaborate?

> 2. Set an example that will be followed

If it's a *good* example, it should be followed, no? ;-)

> 3. Boilerplate

Can be alleviated if there's a way to use templates to make exception

But all of this is just the mechanics of the system. We should rather be
debating about the conceptual/theoretic merits at this point, than get
hung up about the nitty gritty details. That can come later once we've
settled on the right conceptual model.

Almost all proofs have bugs, but almost all theorems are true. -- Paul Pedersen