The Right Approach to Exceptions

Robert Jacques sandford at jhu.edu
Sat Feb 18 22:37:14 PST 2012

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 23:08:21 -0600, Sean Cavanaugh <WorksOnMyMachine at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/18/2012 11:07 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 2/18/2012 8:08 PM, bearophile wrote:
>>> To improve this discussion a small benchmark is useful to see how much
>>> bloat this actually causes.
>>
>> It'll increase with reflection and perfect garbage collection.
>
> Are these coming?  :)

Yes. Heap-perfect GC has had patches in Bugzilla, though they've suffered bit-rot. I'd really like a fully precise collector, but that is more work for Walter. Reflection is part of the variant refactoring I've been working on. I've kept the design very limited so far, but it does result in a lot of codegen and slow compile times in certain situations (mostly due to type tuple bugs and Algebraic).