The Right Approach to Exceptions

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Feb 19 07:56:58 PST 2012

"Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
news:jhr0vq$24t0$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 2/19/12 5:22 AM, deadalnix wrote:
>> Le 19/02/2012 08:05, Andrei Alexandrescu a écrit :
>>> How about a system in which you can say whether an exception is I/O
>>> related, network related, recoverable or not, should be displayed to the
>>> user or not, etc. Such is difficult to represent with inheritance alone.
>>>

>> That may sound great on the paper, but it isn't. The fact that an
>> exception is recoverable or not depend often on your program and not on
>> the cause of the exception.
>
> This is self-evident. Again, the meaning of "recoverable" is "operation
> may succeed if retried with the same input". It's a hint for the catch
> code. Of course the program is free to ignore that aspect, retry a number
> of times, log, display user feedback, and so on. But as far as definition
> goes the notion is cut and dried.

WTF? "Recoverable" means "can be recovered from". Period. The term doesn't
have a damn thing to do with "how", even in the context of exceptions. It
*never* has. If you meant it as "operation may succeed if retried with the
same input", then fine, but don't pretend that *your* arbitrary definition
is "cut and dried".