Questions about windows support

James Miller james at aatch.net
Mon Feb 20 15:12:30 PST 2012

On 21 February 2012 12:00, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 05:25:28PM -0500, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>> On Monday, February 20, 2012 22:36:49 Benjamin Thaut wrote:
>> > 1) Is there a chance that dmd will support 64 bit on windows any
>> > time soon? What are the issues currently with 64 bit support on
>> > windows?  (optlink? backend?)
>>
>> Neither support 64-bit. So, the changes required to the toolchain are
>> _far_ greater for 64-bit Windows than the Posix OSes. It'll come
>> eventually, but probably not for a while.
> [...]
>
> Does gdc support 64-bit? AFAIK it should, since it uses the gcc backend.

> --
> Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation: I have preferences.  You have
> biases.  He/She has prejudices. -- Gene Wirchenko

I use DMD64 on Linux, and it works fine, it puts out 64bit binaries no
problem, and it uses the system linker.

Windows has not, historically, been a pleasant platform to develop
lower-level code for, the default console hasn't been updated in
decades (I know that powershell exists), and windows seems to act as
if you either use Visual Studio (and .NET) or you aren't a real
programmer...

--
James Miller