Questions about windows support

Juan Manuel Cabo juanmanuel.cabo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 18:56:11 PST 2012

On 02/20/2012 11:06 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 02:00:20AM +0100, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> Yeah I remember that. I thought they've since fixed it, though. That's
> more a bash limitation than anything, AFAIK. Besides, what *were* you
> trying to do with such a long command-line anyway? :-)

I can think of one case where the command line argument limit
is a problem: copying or moving files from a huge directory.
  In that case, to do it with bash, there is no other way around
but to do things such as iterate over the alphabet to copy the files that
start with 'a', then the ones with 'b'..

> But then again, I *did* also have to deal with having to repair a remote
> Linux server whose dynamic linker broke, causing basic commands like ls,
> cp, chmod, to be completely non-functional. In fact, *nothing* worked
> except that last remote login running bash. In the end I had to use
> bash's built-in echo command to recreate a statically-linked busybox
> binary via copy-n-pasting over the terminal, in order to get things back
> into working condition again. (Yeah. Definitely not for the faint of
> heart.)

That is so COOL!! I remember f*cking up one of my first linux computers
that way. If I had known, I wouldn't have to go back to reinstall the
many diskettes of slackware (no live cds at that time!, no easy way
to fix the fs).

--jm