Questions about windows support

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Feb 20 19:14:48 PST 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 11:56:11PM -0300, Juan Manuel Cabo wrote:
> On 02/20/2012 11:06 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 02:00:20AM +0100, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> > Yeah I remember that. I thought they've since fixed it, though.
> > That's more a bash limitation than anything, AFAIK. Besides, what
> > *were* you trying to do with such a long command-line anyway? :-)
>
> I can think of one case where the command line argument limit is a
> problem: copying or moving files from a huge directory.  In that case,
> to do it with bash, there is no other way around but to do things such
> as iterate over the alphabet to copy the files that start with 'a',
> then the ones with 'b'..

for x in *; mv $x dest/$x; done

Easy. :)

[...]
> > But then again, I *did* also have to deal with having to repair a
> > remote Linux server whose dynamic linker broke, causing basic
> > commands like ls, cp, chmod, to be completely non-functional. In
> > fact, *nothing* worked except that last remote login running bash.
> > In the end I had to use bash's built-in echo command to recreate a
> > statically-linked busybox binary via copy-n-pasting over the
> > terminal, in order to get things back into working condition again.
> > (Yeah. Definitely not for the faint of heart.)
[...]
> That is so COOL!! I remember f*cking up one of my first linux
> computers that way. If I had known, I wouldn't have to go back to
> reinstall the many diskettes of slackware (no live cds at that time!,
> no easy way to fix the fs).
[...]

That is only cool in retrospect. I remember sweating bullets at the
time, thinking twice about every command I typed, lest I accidentally
lose that last ssh session into the box. (New ssh connections don't
work, for the same reasons.)

Especially tense was when I used xclip to copy 10000 echo commands into
the paste buffer and then pasted the result into the ssh terminal. You
have no idea what a sigh of relief it was when it was finally done and
the connection was still alive. :-P The slightest slip, like an
accidental EOF at the wrong place in the paste, and it's bye-bye ssh
connection, bye-bye remote server.

"I'm running Windows '98." "Yes." "My computer isn't working now." "Yes,
you already said that." -- User-Friendly