Questions about windows support

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue Feb 21 00:05:11 PST 2012

Many only know the UNIX version of Linux or BSD, but lets not forget the
idiosyncrasies any developer faces when having to support multiple
commercial
UNIX systems in spite of standards like POSIX.

I still remember the first time I loggeded into an HP-UX system in a
production system
at one of our customers, back in 2000. It was like time travel to the 70's.

The same can be said of Solaris. My first task after setting up a Solaris
server (v6-8) was
always to go to a repository like Sunfreeware and get a set of sane userland
tools.

These are just two stories, but I have many to share from our support
between Windows and
UNIX flavours we had to support (Linux, BSD, Aix, HP-UX, Solaris and Aix).

Sure Windows is sometimes a pain to work with, but commercial UNIXes are not
far off.

--
Paulo

"Adam D. Ruppe"  wrote in message
news:cekchlmrcfupiocywkfv at forum.dlang.org...

On Tuesday, 21 February 2012 at 00:37:33 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> Weird. I guess I must be a very strange person, because I find that my
> productivity soars at the command-line

Me too. Command line rocks, and bash is a fine shell.
(csh sucks though, why its the default on so many bsds
is beyond me.)

What I'm talking about here is the underlying technology
and ease of programming.

It isn't difficult to get a compiler on Windows and
write code. You can use Visual Studio, or notepad, or
anything in between.

You can write a lot of code easily, from 16 bit DOS
programs (well, not anymore on 64 bit, but you could for
a long, long time) up to gui apps, including doing
console apps that have an api similar to vga text hardware.

On Linux, you have to worry about terminal escape
sequences, libc incompatibilities, and all kinds of other
stuff to write similar programs.

Remember though, that this isn't about the shell or
userland. I really like the Linux command line (though
it isn't perfect... ever gotten "command line too long"
due to how * is expanded by the shell? Ugh.).

But anyway I really like it, but the operating system
isn't any easier to program for. Indeed, if you want to
distribute your app, it is a lot harder due to compatibility.

Windows apps tend to just work.