The Right Approach to Exceptions

Juan Manuel Cabo juanmanuel.cabo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 08:50:42 PST 2012

> throw new WithRainbows!withErrorCode!withFoobar!FileNotFoundException(...);

So:

    catch (WithRainbows!withErrorCode!withFoobar!FileNotFoundException ex) {
    } catch (WithRainbows!withErrorCode!withFoobar!FileNotFoundException ex) {
    } catch (WithErrorCode!withRainbows!withFoobar!FileNotFoundException ex) {
    } catch (WithRainbows!withFoobar!withErrorCode!FileNotFoundException ex) {

and so on (in this case will be, its 3! == 6).

and you would have to write them all. You cannot catch only WithRainbows!* because
you miss the FileNotFoundException at the end.

Please, refer to my previous posts.
I don't want to start to repaste my posts.
In one of them, I said that what you care about for the catch selection
is the *what* of the error.   Not the *cause* of the error, not the *where*
of the error (no one catches by *where*). And that it seems wrong to encode
anything other than the *what* of the error in the type name. Other things
such as the cause or the date should be encoded inside the exception object
instead of in the exception class type name.

I thought that an alternative to Variant[string] would be to have some virtual
functions overrideable (getExceptionData(string dataName) or something).
but they would all have to return Object or Variant, so it's the same thing.

--jm