Questions about windows support

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Feb 21 08:50:24 PST 2012

"H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote in message
news:mailman.740.1329784653.20196.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 12:21:33AM +0100, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>> On Monday, 20 February 2012 at 23:12:36 UTC, James Miller wrote:
>> >Windows has not, historically, been a pleasant platform to develop
>> >lower-level code for
>>
>> I couldn't disagree with that more, especially if you're comparing
>> to something like linux. The linux console is a big pain.
> [...]
>
> Weird. I guess I must be a very strange person, because I find that my
> productivity soars at the command-line, but when I'm forced to used
> Windows, productivity drops to 20% because of all that keyboard-to-mouse
> switching and clicking through endless layers of menus just to get one
> thing done.

I literally grew up on command-lines[1]. But despite that, I still much
prefer GUIs for anything a GUI reasonably works for: Like file browsers, DB
admin, manual DB queries, debuggers, Tortoise*, etc. (although for web
server configuration I've come to vastly prefer config files - MUCH easier
to remotely manage, plus the settings for files/paths are necessarily tied
to the file/path *name*, not the physical file, so you don't kave to keep
messing with them every time something's moved/renamed/deleted/recreated)

When I'm on Linux, I've come to do most things on the command line just
because 1. Many things still can only be done on the cmd line, and 2. Linux
file managers suck about as much as the Windows command line. I'm proficient
with bash, and I do love it as far as command lines go (And damn near
anything can be scripted, which is fantastic), but I hate using it for file
manipulation - just seems really clumsy compared to a *good* GUI file
manager (which I've yet to find on Linux). Although the autocomplete *is* a
huge help.

Although that said, even the Windows file manager has been plummeting
downhill ever since Vista. I don't know wtf MS has been thinking.

Keyboard/mouse switching comes pretty naturally to me. Part of it's probably
years of practice, and the other part is that I use trackballs which tend to
mostly stay put.

[1] First AppleSoft BASIC and occasionally the built-in memory-editor and
AppleSoft Logo. Later, MS-DOS 6-ish and occasionally gwbasic (normally used
QBASIC instead, though)