Questions about windows support

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Tue Feb 21 10:42:51 PST 2012

Unless things have changed dramatically in the past few years, SUA is barely usable though.  The shells don't behave the same way as their *nix equivalents and the API coverage is spotty at best.  If you really want to go the Posix on Windows route I'd suggest either downloading GnuWin32 (for tools that can be run from the Windows command-line) or Cygwin (for a full programming environment).  Having once made an attempt at porting a large Solaris app to Interix (aka SUA), I feel pretty comfortable in saying that native Posix support under Windows is there more to be listed as a feature for government contracts or whatever than because it's something anyone would actually want to use.

For SSH support, I'd suggest getting a client/server app from somewhere like Vandyke Systems, then maybe grabbing Windows PowerShell from Microsoft.  It will be a lot more effective than trying anything built-in.