Questions about windows support

Bernard Helyer b.helyer at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 14:39:55 PST 2012

>Nick replied to something about globbing
Having programs doing the globbing sounds great until you run
into someone who doesn't play ball. *cough* every single digital
mars utility *cough*. I think Windows and unix both get it wrong,
but unix gets it less wrong (as it could theoretically be
annoying, but in practice I just escape it and move on, but
working around a non-globbing program is just annoying).

Wot I think should happen: the runtime (say libc) should handle
globbing of arguments, and it should be enabled by default. So if
someone wants an app that handles wildcards specially, they can
do that, but for most apps it'll just work™. I don't think this
really meshes with the traditional main signature of just passing
the strings as arguments. Perhaps just a non_globbed_args
function or something.

Buuuut things are pretty much set in stone at this point.