Questions about windows support

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Feb 21 16:28:03 PST 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 06:01:37PM -0500, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
[...]
> Hmm, if that's like Total Commander on Windows, then I don't think I
> would like it. I do *love* Total Commander's multi-file renaming, but
> that feature is really the only reason I keep it around.
>
> Heh, as bad as this might sound, I think what I basically want is more
> or less Windows Explorer on linux ;)  (Including the customizations
> I've installed, like "DOS Prompt Here" and Tortoise*) And yea,
> Explorer works under wine, but it's kinda like running a GTK app in
> Windows - but worse since Windows GTK apps at least *know* what OS
> they're really running on.

Maybe if you write one in D... ;-) Perhaps *that's* the killer D app
that we've been waiting for, that will take the world by a storm. :P

[...]
> > Keyboard/mouse switching is much better when it's a laptop with that
> > "nipple" thing in the middle of the keyboard. In fact, that's the only
[...]
> I like to call it the clit mouse. It beats the shit out of trackpads (I hate
> those things with a passion), but I still find them a pain compared to mice
> and my trusty Logitech trackball. So I'm the opposite of you there: I
> actually find it much *easier* to switch between keyboard and trackball than
> keyboard and "clit mouse" despite the increased distance. Maybe I'm just
> weird.

Are you trying to out-weird me? ;-)

[...]
> > Ooooh! Another Apple II veteran! Ah, the good ole Apple II. Believe
> > it or not, my dad actually still has a couple o' 30-year-old Apple
> > II's that he actually *still uses*. He wrote a little personal
> > accounting app in Dbase, and has been using it for the last 3
> > decades. Never felt the need to upgrade. Of course, now he also has
> > a modern-day laptop and modern PCs in the office. But that old
> > faithful Apple II is still chugging away...
> >

> Wow. Nice. I have an Apple IIc in a pile on the floor here to my
> right.  Haven't had time to play with it in forever though. It's the
> same model I grep up on (IIc), but not the same physical machine.
> *God* I wish I hadn't sold my floppies along with my original system.

Hmm. I'm really dating myself now, but I grew up with the *original*
Apple II, not even the IIc. I think I did get a IIc later on, but I got
caught up with IBM PCs around the time Macs started coming out. Haven't
been back to Apple since.

> I really wish I still had all that old data of mine. Probably all gone
> forever now: Overwritten, decayed, or in a landfill. :(

Well, even if you did have those old disks... they probably would've
demagnetized by now. Perhaps.

OTOH, ftp.apple.asimov (together with an Apple II emulator) is a
wonderful resource for those moments of nostalgia, when you're just
feeling that urge to go boot up with a single beep and see that
beautiful "]█" prompt staring at you, just like it used to decades ago.
And then you 'call -151' and geek out on coding some assembly routines
by typing in opcodes, etc..

> I'm actually a huge Apple hater ever since I got fed up with my 10.2
> eMac and the whole "Return of Jobs" world and product lines in
> general. But I *always* consider Woz's Apple II line to be the big,
> giant, glaring exception in Apple's portfolio.
[...]

Ah, good ole Wozniak. Wasn't he the one who practically single-handedly
coded up the entire Apple II ROM? Or am I just mixing up urban legend
with reality? :)

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.