Questions about windows support

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Feb 21 17:00:42 PST 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 01:21:41AM +0100, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Wednesday, 22 February 2012 at 00:03:35 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >It lets me fire up my (text-based) mail client
>
> mutt????

Yep!

> I switched to mutt from the terrible webmail in... 2007 I think.
> Rarely look back (only when I need to view images when on a
> separate computer).

Webmail gives me acne. For a while at my job before I figured out how to
download work email onto my Linux development box, I had to use webmail.
No threading, poor folder support, flaky search box, default HTML
formatting (ugh!), it's like Windows 3.0 reincarnated. Eww.

> I handle 200-300 emails a day. I don't think I could handle
> it if not for how awesome mutt is.

Yeah, I saw several people remarking about how unmanageably huge the
Exceptions thread is, but mutt handles it just fine. In fact, without
mutt, I would've lost track of where the discussion was going a long
time ago. (Although, it *is* starting to get to the point where the
threading lines are going past the right edge of the screen...)

Come to think of it, perhaps that's why people started rehashing the
same arguments over and over after a while, 'cos without proper
threading support in your mail client, it's just impossible to keep
track of who is replying to what, much less keep all the different
conversations straight.

Years ago I used to be subscribed to a truckload of opensource mailing
lists. On top of that, if I turned off spamassassin, I'd get about 200
spams a *day*. (My email address is too public, unfortunately.) Only
mutt could handle that sort of mail load. I used to use pine, but it had
no threading, which especially sucked for dealing with mailing lists:
there was no way to delete-entire-thread without manually pressing D 300
times. IIRC it was mailing lists that convinced me to switch to mutt.
Never looked back since.

> >music is finished, run mplayer to start new music, etc..)
>
> mplayer rox. I also use a play script that runs sox (or timidity) for
> simple files.
>
> gui music sux.

Yeah, it's just audio, why does it need a GUI interface, right? :) If it
was video that'd be a different story.

[...]
> Aaaand I can run other screens inside!

Nice.

[...]
> Nested screens is pretty amazing. And that automatic
> session means I can open and close it at will, picking
> up exactly where I left off every time.

Nice, I should set that up sometime. I have screen running on a
persistent session, but if I need to reconnect, I have to start over.
It'd be cooler if it was *always* persistent unless the machine itself
went down. Cool.

"Hi." "'Lo."