Questions about windows support

James Miller james at aatch.net
Tue Feb 21 20:40:42 PST 2012

On 22 February 2012 13:06, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 12:39:01AM +0100, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> [...]
>> Yeah, though I've only seen it suggested for daemon like
>> programs... I think you're the first person who I've seen
>> suggest it for gui apps too.
>>
>> Not a bad idea.
>
> Perhaps I'm just dreaming, but I *think* I've seen one GUI app that
> actually does that. But I could be wrong.

GVim does it, its amazing, since I normally start it from the terminal
and chronically forget to use '&'. The one downside of this is when
you /want/ the blocking behaviour (git editor for example), gvim gets
around this by providing a '-f' flag that tells it not to fork.

I wish all GUI programs provided that kind of feature set, but I
concede that GVim is made /for/ programmers and launching from the
terminal is a common use case, as is wanting to use it as a drop in
replacement for vim, so here we are.

--
James Miller